Spotlight Theater – grades 7-12
We’re excited to present a livestream production of Dear Edwina, JR! Based on the off-Broadway show Dear Edwina, this heartwarming musical is about the joys of growing up, from the creators of Junie B. Jones, The Musical, with music by Zina Goldrich, book and lyrics by Marcy Heisler. Dear Edwina JR. follows the adventures of plucky advice-giver-extraordinaire, Edwina Spoonapple, as she directs the neighborhood kids in a series of buoyant production numbers for the latest edition of her weekly “Advice-a-Palooza.” Edwina and her friends share wisdom on everything from trying new foods to making new friends, through clever, catchy and poignant songs.
Dear Edwina JR is presented through special arrangement with Music Theatre International (MTI). All authorized performance materials are also supplied by MTI. http://www.MTIShows.com.
Rehearsals and performance will take place ON CAMPUS in the gym, building 700, which will be transformed into our own studio/sound stage. See below for complete rehearsal schedule and dates. Performances will be presented via livestream on June 26 and 27, 2021.
Students entering seventh grade through 2020 high school graduates are eligible to audition by submitting a video by May 3, 2021. Video audition instructions will be given following registration. All registered students will be cast in the show. Students who register after the video audition deadline will be cast in the ensemble.
Meets ON CAMPUS Monday – Friday 3:00 – 7:00 PM, June 9 – 27, 2021
TEACHERS: Chantelle Urbina, Nick Patton
REGISTRATION FEE: $20 ($0 for active class students)
*Casting is announced May 24th. Tuition refunds for drops eligible until June 1st.
COVID PROTOCOLS: Rehearsals and activities will take place outside whenever possible, and mask-wearing and appropriate social-distancing will be enforced. Students will be required to complete a brief health questionnaire and log their temperature at the beginning of each daily rehearsal. Parent participation will be monitored and vaccination status recorded.
- March 19 – Registration opens
- May 3 – Video audition deadline
- May 17 – Callback audition video deadline (not required for all students)
- May 24 – Cast announced and independent music-learning begins
- June 7 – Late registration for ensemble closes
- June 9 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 10 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 11 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 14 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 15 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 16 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 17 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 18 – 3:00-7:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 19 – 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM Saturday Tech Rehearsal (student times TBD)
- June 21 – 3:00-9:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 22 – 3:00-9:00 PM Rehearsal
- June 23 – 3:00-9:00 PM Dress Rehearsal
- June 24 – 3:00-9:00 PM Dress Rehearsal
- June 25 – 3:00-9:00 PM Dress Rehearsal
- June 26 – 7:00 PM Livestream Performance (5:00 PM call time)
- June 27 – 3:00 PM Livestream Performance (1:00 PM call time)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What is required for auditions? You can expect to sing a short solo of your choice. We will send you instructions for video-recording and uploading your audition after you register. Videos are due May 3rd.
- Do I need to prepare a monologue? No, though Callback auditions for select students may require some speaking.
- What are Callbacks? We may ask select students to submit additional videos of themselves performing assigned songs and/or dialogue. If you do not receive callback information, you will learn your part when we announce the cast list on May 24th.
- When do I need to register? Registration is required by May 3rd for casting consideration. Late registrations will be accepted until June 7th for ensemble participation.
- Do I need to register before auditioning? Yes. You will not be cast in the show without having completed registration with The Music School office. Registration fees are non-refundable. Tuition is non-refundable after June 1st.
- If I miss the Auditions, can I still be in the show? Yes. Late registrations will be accepted until June 7th, and students will be cast in the ensemble.
- If I cannot attend all the rehearsals, can I still be in the show? Because the preparation time is so condensed, we are depending on all participants in attendance at all rehearsals. Any conflicts need to be discussed with the directors before casting and will affect your role. Attendance at all dress rehearsals and performances are required, no exceptions.